Biggest Shopping Malls In The World
The world’s big shopping malls offer one-stop shopping for anything imaginable. If you travel around the world and love to shop, then you will want to know about the biggest shopping mall in the world in 2022. Here is the list of top 10 Biggest Shopping Malls in the world in 2022. Let’s see!
10. The Dubai Mall – 5.4 million sq ft
The Dubai Mall is the largest shopping mall in Dubai. It is the second largest mall in the world after Iran Mall by total land area, with a total retail area of 502,000 square meters (5,400,000 sq ft). With 502,000 square meters (5,400,000 sq ft) in total retail floor area, it is one of the top 10 biggest shopping malls in the world 2022.
Located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, it is part of a $20 billion downtown complex (called Downtown Dubai) adjacent to the iconic Burj Khalifa, and includes more than 1,200 shops. In 2011, it was the most visited building on the planet, attracting more than 54 million visitors each year.
- Location: Downtown Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Opening date: 4 November 2008; 12 years ago
- Total retail floor area: 502,000 square metres (5,400,000 sq ft)
09. 1 Utama – 5.59 million sq ft
1 Utama is one of the biggest shopping malls in Bandar Utama, Selangor, Malaysia. It has an area of 5,590,000 square feet (519,000 m2) and has 713 stores. It is the largest shopping mall in Malaysia and one of the top 10 biggest shopping malls in the world in 2022. The first phase of the mall, now known as the “Old Wing”, was opened in September 1995. With increased customer traffic and demand for retail locations inside the mall, a second phase, called the “New Wing”, was added in 2003.
Utama has several retail areas, restaurants, cafes, sports facilities, a rainforest and a bus station with national and international facilities. The mall’s current anchor tenants include – AEON department stores and supermarkets, Jaya Grocer, and department stores Parkson and Isetan.
The mall previously housed the first IKEA store in Malaysia in 1996. The mall has received several awards including Gold at EdgeProp Malaysia’s Best Managed Property Awards 2019 and Platinum Award for Shopping Complex of the Year at the Retail World Excellence Awards 2006/07 edition.
- Location: Bandar Utama, Malaysia
- Opened: September 1995
- Total retail floor area: 5,590,000 sq ft (519,000 m2)
08. Mall of America – 5.6 million sq ft
Mall of America is one of the biggest shopping malls located in Bloomington, Minnesota, a suburb of the Twin Cities of Minnesota, United States. It is located southeast of the junction of Interstate 494 and Minnesota State Highway 77, north of the Minnesota River, and crossing the Interstate from Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport. It opened in 1992, and is the eighth largest shopping mall in the world in 2022, and the largest in the Western Hemisphere.
About 40 million people visit the mall annually and eighty percent of visitors are from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Dakota, Illinois, Ohio and Canada.
In addition to the mall, there are additional hotels, restaurants and stores outside the mall. The Mall of America and additional businesses meet in the South Loop District in Bloomington, Minnesota.
- Location: 60 East Broadway, Bloomington, Minnesota, United States 55425
- Number of stores: 520
- Total retail floor area: 520,257 m2 (5,600,000 sq ft)
07. ICONSIAM – 5.65 million sq ft
ICONSIAM is a mixed-use mall on the banks of the Chao Phraya River in Thailand. It is one of the largest shopping malls in Asia, opened to the public on 9 November 2018, as well as hotels and accommodation. The US$1.5 billion project is being developed as a joint venture by Thai high-end shopping mall developer, Siam Pivot Group, MQDC Magnolia Quality Development, and Charoen Pokphand Group.
It was opened in 2018, with a gross leasable area of 525,000 m2 (5,650,000 sq ft) and over 1000 stores, making it the seventh largest mall in the world in 2022.
- Location: 299 Charoen Nakhon Soi 5, Charoen Nakhon Road, Khlong San, Bangkok, Thailand 10600
- No. of floors: 10 (including underground)
- Total retail floor area: 525,000 m2 (5,650,000 sq ft)
06. CentralWorld – 5.9 million sq ft
The eight-story Centralworld in Bangkok is Thailand’s second largest shopping mall and one of the top 10 biggest shopping malls in the world in 2022. It was opened in 1990. In 2006, after three years of design and renovation, Centralworld was expanded into a 550,000 m (5,900,000 sq ft) shopping mall and 830,000 m (8,900,000 sq ft) complex. It topped the nearest rival Siam Paragon in terms of size.
Centralworld was temporarily closed due to severe arson damage on 19 May 2010, during the 2010 Thailand political protests as soldiers removed protesters from the area. The surrounding ‘Zen’ section was heavily damaged by the rioters. The Apple store is located in Centralworld Square, just outside the Central Department Store. It is recognized as the largest Apple Store in Southeast Asia.
- Location: Pathum Wan, Bangkok, Thailand
- No. of stores and services: 495
- Gross leasable area: 550,000 m2 (5,900,000 sq ft)
05. CentralPlaza WestGate – 5.92 million sq ft
Centralplaza Westgate is the largest mall in Thailand, consisting of cinemas and stores. It was opened in August 2015. It has a gross floor area of 550,278 m (5,923,140 sq ft) which includes an IKEA store with a floor area of 50,278 m (541).
In 2017, it became the largest mall in Thailand with the addition of the IKEA store, surpassing CentralWorld. CentralPlaza WestGate has 6 floors, 1000+ stores and 7000 parking spaces. It is one of the top 10 biggest shopping malls in the world in 2022.
- Location: Bang Yai, Nonthaburi, Thailand 11010
- No. of floors: 6
- Total retail floor area: 550,278 m2 (5,923,140 sq ft)
04. Golden Resources Mall – 6.0 million sq ft
Golden Resources Shopping Mall is a major shopping mall located near the northwest Fourth Ring Road in Beijing, People’s Republic of China. At the time of its opening, it was the largest mall in terms of gross leasable area. In 2022, it is the third largest mall in the world after Iran Mall and South China Mall. It can be accessed by Beijing Subway using Changchunqiao Station on Line 10.
Golden Resources Shopping Mall is also known as the Great Mall of China. It has a total area of 560,000 square meters (6 million sq ft) on six floors. At 1.5 times the size of the Mall of America, Golden Resources Mall was the largest shopping mall in the world from 2004 to 2005.
An additional metro line serving the mall, Line 12, is under construction, which will be inaugurated by 2022.
- Location: Fourth Ring Road @ Yuanda Road in Beijing, China
- No. of stores and services: 1000+
- Total retail floor area: 557,419 square metres (6,000,010 sq ft)
03. SM Tianjin – 6.08 million sq ft
SM Supermall, owned by SM Prime Holdings, is a chain of shopping malls in the Philippines that by early 2022 has 76 malls located across the country and 26 more to be opened for a total of 102 malls.
It also has 7 malls in China, including SM Tianjin, which is the third largest mall in the world in terms of gross leasable area. Its area is 565,000 m2 (6,080,000 sq ft) and it has more than 2500 shops. SM Tianjin is composed of five different buildings each named after the five traditional Chinese elements Earth, Fire, Water, Metal, and Wood. It is the second largest mall in China, it was opened in 2016.
- Location: Tianjin, China
- Shops: 2500+
- Total retail floor area: 565,000 m2 (6,080,000 sq ft)
02. New South China Mall – 7.09 million sq ft
South China Mall in Dongguan, China is the second largest mall in the world 2022 after Iran Mall. Which includes a musical fountain, food court, mosque and hotel.
South China Mall opened in 2005 and for more than 10 years it was mostly empty as few merchants had ever signed up, leading to it being dubbed a defunct mall. A CNN story in 2015 reported that the mall had begun to attract tenants after extensive renovation and remodeling, although large portions were still vacant.
According to another article published in January 2018, after more than a decade of high vacancy, most retail spaces were expected to fill soon, and the mall had an IMAX-style cinema and theme park.
- Location: Dongguan, China
- Owner: Founder Group
- Total retail floor area: 659,611 square metres (7,099,990 sq ft)
01. Iran Mall – 21 million sq ft
Iran Mall is the largest shopping mall in the world 2022. It is located near Chitgar Lake in northwestern Tehran, Iran. Iran Mall is the largest mall in the world by total land area (1,950,000 m2). This is equal to the combined area of Dubai Mall and New South China Mall.
The malls include a hypermarket, Fashion Avenue, Diamond and Crystal Atrium, three food courts with over 200 restaurants, a 3,300-square-metre book garden with 67,000 books and several book stores, and a cinema.
The mall’s roof serves as a sports complex with long routes for hiking, cycling and public activities. It includes 15 sports fields, tennis courts, a 12,000 square meter ice rink and swimming pool.
- Industry: Retail
- Founded: first phase: 2018
- Headquarters: Chitgar Lake, Tehran, Iran
- Total retail floor area: 1,950,000 m2 (21,000,000 sq ft)
Quick recap of the top 10 biggest shopping malls in the world in 2022
- 01. Iran Mall – 21 million sq ft
- 02. New South China Mall – 7.09 million sq ft
- 03. SM Tianjin – 6.08 million sq ft
- 04. Golden Resources Mall – 6.0 million sq ft
- 05. CentralPlaza WestGate – 5.92 million sq ft
- 06. CentralWorld – 5.9 million sq ft
- 07. ICONSIAM – 5.65 million sq ft
- 08. Mall of America – 5.6 million sq ft
- 09. 1 Utama – 5.59 million sq ft
- 10. The Dubai Mall – 5.4 million sq ft